- 1.1. The products and services are provided, and the website www.buildadvisor.com.au/ (Site) is operated, by BuildAdvisor Pty Ltd (ACN 164 027 927) (we, us or our).
- 1.2. We are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). Your privacy is very important to us and we are committed to the protection of your Personal Information.
- 1.3. We do not intend to collect information about visitors which is Sensitive Information as defined under the Privacy Act.
2. What personal information do we collect?
- 2.1. We collect and use Personal Information from customers, advertisers, users or visitors of our Site, or any other individual who interacts with, including information or opinions which are reasonably capable of identifying individuals, whether or not such information is true or recorded in a material form (Personal Information). The type of Personal Information that we collect and use depends on the type of dealings that you have with us and includes the following non-exhaustive list:
- 2.1.1. full name;
- 2.1.2. mobile and telephone number;
- 2.1.3. email address;
- 2.1.4. employer and builder information (for example, employer name and contact details and employee title);
- 2.1.5. information about the products or services you have ordered;
- 2.1.6. information from enquiries you have made with us;
- 2.1.7. the content of any communications between us;
- 2.1.8. information about your interest in builders, developers and renovators of residential, domestic and commercial properties; and
- 2.1.9. any other Personal Information provided by you to us when making an enquiry or subscribing to our products, services and/or Site.
3. How do we collect personal information?
- 3.1. We collect Personal Information about you in a number of ways, including:
- 3.1.1. directly from you when you:
- (a) order products or services from us (for example, when you advertise on our Site):
- (b) visit our Site or submit information through our Site (for example, when you complete a Consumer Registration form, Builder Registration or a Rate a Builder form);
- (c) contact us with a query or request information about our products or services, provide feedback; or
- (d) participate in surveys, promotions or competitions;
- 3.1.2. from third parties (including related bodies corporate, business partners service providers, customers, employees, contractors, suppliers, builders, consumers, Victorian Building Authority, Building Practitioners Board of Victoria and other users of the Site);
- 3.1.3. from publicly available sources of information (including, but not limited to, social media sites); and
- 3.1.4. when otherwise legally authorised or required to do so by law.
- 3.1.1. directly from you when you:
4. How do we use your personal information?
- 4.1. We use your Personal Information for the purposes for which the information is collected.
- 4.2. We use your Personal Information to provide our products, services and Site to you. We also use it to improve or develop our products, service and Site, to operate, maintain, test and upgrade our systems and to notify you of opportunities that we think you might be interested in.
- 4.3. We may provide your Personal Information to our related bodies corporate, business partners, service providers, sponsors, third party contractors, agents or suppliers and authorised third party service providers who perform functions on our behalf, such as marketing and analysis organisations, hosting companies, web developers, internet service providers, telecommunication providers, customer service providers, customer support specialists, fulfilment companies, external business advisors (such as auditors and lawyers), research and data analysis firms, debt collectors and insurers (Authorised Affiliates). In all circumstances where your Personal Information is disclosed, we will ensure that these third parties undertake to protect your privacy.
- 4.4. We may also use your Personal Information to:
- 4.4.1. provide or deliver products or services to you;
- 4.4.2. administer and manage our products and services;
- 4.4.3. inform you about our Site, products, services, special offers, competitions, promotions, questionnaires or surveys or other matters which we believe are of interest to you;
- 4.4.4. charge and bill you for the use of our products and services;
- 4.4.5. customise the advertising and content on our Site and to contact you about special deals;
- 4.4.6. share with Authorised Affiliates; and
- 4.4.7. verify your identity.
- 4.5. We may disclose Personal Information to an Authorised Affiliate and they may in turn provide us with Personal Information collected from you. Our Authorised Affiliates are located in Australia and your Personal Information will not be disclosed to an overseas recipient unless we have obtained your express or implied consent.
5. When do we disclose your personal information?
- 5.1. Our Site allows you to publish and display content and information which is made available and accessible to other users of the Site. We protect your Personal Information by allowing you to select the anonymous function when submitting a building review (in which case the letters ‘Anon’ will appear alongside your building review). If you do not select the anonymous function then your first name will be displayed alongside your building review on the Site.
- 5.2. We may disclose any information, including Personal Information, we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, to:
- 5.2.2. third party providers of services to the building industry with whom we have commercial relationship, such as:
- (a) the Victorian Building Authority, for the purpose of verifying that the builder or renovator is a registered building practitioner; and
- (b) the Building Practitioners Board of Victoria, for the purpose of verifying whether the builder or renovator has any professional misconduct determinations against it.
- 5.2.3. law enforcement bodies or regulatory authorities to assist with their functions, courts of law or as otherwise required or authorised by law.
- 5.3. We may also share non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information for research or promotional purposes. We do not sell or trade Personal Information, however, we may disclose Personal Information to an Authorised Affiliate and they may in turn provide us with Personal Information collected from you.
6. Direct Marketing
- 6.1. Where we have your express or implied consent, or where we are otherwise permitted by law, we may use your Personal Information to send you information about the products and services we offer, as well as other information. We may send this information in a variety of ways, such as by mail, email, SMS, telephone, social media or by customising online content and displaying advertising on our Site.
- 6.2. You may opt out of receiving direct marketing material by contacting us in any of the ways specified in the direct marketing materials or by selecting the ‘opt out’ function in your account on the Site.
7. Our site
- 7.1. When you visit our Site, our systems may record certain information about your use of our Site (such as which web pages you visit and the time and date of your visit). We use this information to help analyse and improve the performance of our Site.
- 7.2. In addition, we may use “cookies” on our Site. Cookies are small text files that help a web site to remember your preferences and improve your experience of using that Site. Using cookies is standard practice for most large website. In some cases, the cookies that we use may collect some Personal Information about you. We will treat this information in the same way as other Personal Information we collect about you. If you prefer, you may be able to disable cookies on your internet browser. However, if you do so, you will not be able to enjoy the enhanced user experience that our cookies offer.
- 7.3. Web beacons are images that originate from a third party site to track visitor activities. We use web beacons to track the visiting patterns and browsing habits of individuals accessing our Site. This information is not intended to and will generally not include any Personal Information, and we will not use the information to identify any individual.
- 7.4. We may also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses relating to you when you access and use the Site. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network of computers which makes up the internet. We may collect and manage IP addresses for internet session management and security purposes.
8. Third party websites and advertising
- 8.1. Our Site may contain links to other websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other websites. We encourage our users to read the privacy statements of each and every website they visit.
9. Security and storage
- 9.1. Your Personal Information may be stored in storage facilities (owned and operated either by ourselves or our services providers) in hard copy or electronic format. We will use our reasonable endeavours to store your Personal Information securely and to make our sites and storage facilities as secure as possible against unauthorised access.
- 9.2. We will use our commercially reasonable endeavours to protect and maintain the security of your Personal Information. Our officers, employees, agents and third party contractors are expected to observe the confidentiality of your Personal Information.
- 9.3. Despite our commercially reasonable endeavours, we are unable to ensure or warrant the security of any Personal Information transmitted to us via the internet. Accordingly, all Personal Information disclosed by you to us is at your own risk and we are not liable for any unauthorised access to and disclosures of the Personal Information.
- 9.4. If we determine that Personal Information is no longer needed for any purpose, we will take commercially reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify that Personal Information, unless we are required by law or a court or tribunal to retain the information.
10. Access to your personal information
- 10.1. We will use our commercially reasonable endeavours to keep your Personal Information that we collect accurate, up-to-date and complete. If you find that the Personal Information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately (our contact details are set out below) and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
- 10.2. Subject to some exceptions provided by law, you have the right to access your Personal Information. If you wish to access or change Personal Information which we have collected about you, we require you to put your request in writing to us. Proof of identity may be required before such information will be provided. If we do not allow you access to any part of the Personal Information we hold about you, we will tell you why. We will not charge you for lodging a request to access your Personal Information, but we may charge you for our reasonable costs in supplying you with access to this information.
11. How to contact us
- 11.1.1. through the Site, by clicking on the Contact Us or Report a Problem button you may then send us an email; or
- 11.1.2. by e-mail: support@BuildAdvisor.com.au; or
- 11.1.3. by post: Privacy Officer. PO Box 19, Carlton South, Victoria, 3053.
- 11.2. We take all privacy complaints seriously and we will investigate your complaint in a confidential manner and you will be informed of the outcome of the investigation within a reasonable period of time.
13. More information
You can find out more information about the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. The Australian Information Commissioner may be contacted at www.oaic.gov.au (email – email@example.com).
Updated: July 2017